• Submit Story
  • Gallery
  • Members
  • Browse by Category
  • Videos
  • Top Rated Articles
  • News RSS Feeds
  • Israel says ‘no choice’, warns Palestinians in Gaza to flee as military campaign intensifies
    Israel says ‘no choice’, warns Palestinians in Gaza to flee as military campaign intensifies Frontier
    Frontier on Wednesday, July 16, 2014
    reviews [0]
    World [393]
    Israel has stepped up its military offensive in Gaza saying it has “no choice” and has asked thousands of Palestinians in the coastal strip to leave their homes amid speculation that a ground operation could follow even as the death toll reached 208 amid air strikes.

    An Egypt mediated truce initiative on Tuesday failed to halt rocket attacks on Israel by Hamas militants and other groups who called it “capitulation and surrender”, choosing to continue with rocket and mortar fire.

    Israel, which suffered its first fatality on Tuesday in a mortar attack at the Ere crossing, said senior Hamas militants had died in strikes on Gaza overnight.

    Palestinian medics in Gaza claimed that 208 people had so far been killed in Israeli raids, including 10 overnight, and more than a 1,000 injured in the last nine days of Operation Protective Edge launched by Israel.

    Among those reported killed was a five-month-old baby, Palestinian medics said charging Israel of having killed mostly innocent civilians.

    Israel has accused Hamas and other Gaza-based militant factions of using civilians as human shields as activists of the groups went around telling people not to evacuate homes.

    Militants have fired more than 1,200 rockets at Israel, which on Tuesday caused the first Israeli death.

    The Israel Defence Forces (IDF) dropped leaflets and used recorded phone messages to warn some 100,000 residents of Gaza to leave their homes before 8 AM on Wednesday.

    The warning came as militants continued to fire rockets at Israeli cities, the IDF said, adding that its Iron Dome missile shield had intercepted four rockets launched at Tel Aviv.

    Following continued rocket attacks, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that he now had no choice but to “expand and intensify the campaign against Hamas” and that “When there is no ceasefire, our answer is fire”.

    “This would have been better resolved diplomatically… but Hamas leaves us no choice but to expand and intensify the campaign against it,” he said.
                               
      Comments
    » Not yet reviewed by any member. You can be the first one to write a review.
    » You must be logged in to post a comment.
    Sponsor

    D S E










    View Office : The Daily Frontier in a larger map
    Related Articles
    Israel briefly deployed troops inside the Gaza Strip for the first time early Sunday as some 4,000 people fled southward from the northern part of the territory in the face of.... Gaza militants on Tuesday met Egypt’s call for a quick truce with repeated rocket fire on Israel and senior Hamas officials rejected the proposal, saying they weren’t.... Showing no signs of letting down, Israel on Monday unleashed more airstrikes on Gaza and its military claimed to have downed a drone launched from Hamas-ruled area, the first.... Israel should have taken advantage of exiled Hamas political leader Khaled Meshaal's first visit to the Gaza Strip to kill him, opposition MP and Kadima party leader Shaul.... Egypt's President Mohamed Morsi said his government was in touch with both Israelis and Palestinians and there were indications they could "soon" reach a truce, but there were....
    Adsense II [728 x 90]